Thursday, October 08, 2009

A new grandbaby!

September 19, 2009 brought the birth of our 9th grandchild! Miss Scarlett Rayne arrived weighing 6 lbs 13 oz. She joins older sister Brodie Skye who quickly decided she liked having a new baby sister. Now she loves to give Scarlett kisses.

Momma says that Scarlett is a very easy baby who sleeps and eats, gets a diaper change and falls back to sleep.

The knitted items I made for Scarlett didn't get sent until after her birth as she decided her birthday should be the 19th instead of the 27th. Still the two car seat blankets, sweater, cocoon, and hats were much appreciated. It's so nice to have loved ones who really appreciate hand made gifts.

Now that the baby knitting has been delivered I'm working toward making a couple of cardigans for myself. The first will be made of Taos in the Turquoise and Copper colorway. My original plan was to make the Taos Jacket but I've since decided I like the pattern of the Green Tea Jacket design. So ultimately I'll combine the two patterns into one. I'm getting gauge for the Green Tea Jacket with the Taos yarn but striping will not carry through as well with the inset sleeve so I'm still undecided as to how to deal with that. It is knit from the bottom up so I'll get started and make the decision as I get further into the pattern.

The other cardigan will be a simple long sleeve, button up with a crew neck featuring ribbing at the waist and on the cuffs. The yarn is Swish DK from Knit Picks . Both yarns and the Zephyr needles they recently added to their catalog are early birthday gifts. No order from Knit Picks is complete without ordering at least a few balls of sock yarn and this order was no exception. Limiting myself to yarn for just three pair of socks was a good exercise in self control, don't you think?

Our youngest daughter is getting well settled into her home in Colorado Springs and is enjoying being able to babysit her nieces. I'm just a little jealous that she's there to be with them, but at the same time glad she's there to help out.

Also on my needles is the Curve of Pursuit blanket, though I'm not making much progress on it. I did finally get some help from a friend on my poor workmanship of picking up stitches. It was a relief to find that it wasn't just me, it's the fact that the first square is knitted on the diagonal and there are only 10 stitches but the directions say to pick up 15 stitches and I was having a difficult time getting them even. Her suggestion was to crochet a 15 stitch edge and pick up the back loop of the crochet stitch. I haven't done it yet because yesterday and today have been spent running errands and figuring out the cardigan.

Laundry calls . . . catch you next time.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

What a precious picture. Congrats to all.

Sadly, you're right laundry calls. Heading to the basement myself to throw in a load.

Sandy

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Waving hello, wondering how you are. Been too long since you've been here, hope all is ok.

Sandy

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Me once again, popping in to see how you're doing.

Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home