Saturday, June 27, 2009

Knitting for comfort

After the shock of our friend's accident wore off a bit I decided to knit a shawl for her. A couple of years ago I purchased some gorgeous Ceallach Dyes yarn from Full Thread Ahead at Stitches West with intentions of knitting a shawl for my daughter, but she informed me she really wasn't a shawl person and that I shouldn't put all that work into something she'd likely not wear. So that lovely yarn has been in my stash just waiting to tell me what it wanted to be. It wanted to be Julia's Shawl from Alison Jepson Hyde's book Wrapped in Comfort - Knitted lace shawls. It's about 2/3 done.

















Last night I knit until 4:30 am, I just couldn't put it down. Both the yarn and the pattern are such a pleasure that I've found it so enjoyable to work on it's hard to put down. Meanwhile, Bernice is improving just a little each day, but she's still got a very long road to recovery ahead of her.


Is this little sheep from a fairy tale? I recently picked him up at a thrift store for just a few cents and couldn't resist him. He's about four inches long and made of unglazed porcelain.
Today I received a surprise in the mail . . . hand cranked socks from my friend Kathleen. She has machines that you crank by hand to make socks. The fun part is she only did the foot of them and I get to design and knit the cuffs. They're made of KnitPicks Essential in Glacial. The strange thing is I just ordered the same yarn, and I'm thrilled that I can now make a scarf or glove to match!
One of my next projects will be the Curve of Pursuit blanket for my granddaughter in red and black. First I need to finish the baby cocoon and scarf I've got started. While searching my stash for the yarn for Bernice's shawl I came a cross a box of lace weight yarns I bought from KnitPicks a while back, so to break up the blanket knitting I'll use some of it for either another shawl or scarf. Tonight I'm taking a break from knitting as my shoulder is complaining due to my marathon knitting last night.

6 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knit the same shawl - and it was truly lovely. I love your yarn so much!

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Bonnie said...

Your shawl is looking beautiful. I just love the yarn! It's going to be so pretty.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger AmyS said...

Your scraf is beautiful! Love the colors. And your sheep is adorable. :-)

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Henya said...

The shawl is gorgeous. I just ordered the book. And I have plenty of nice yarn that wants to be a shawl.
The little sheep is adorable. What a nice find.
I love Knit Picks Essential. I Have ordered some to make baby dresses. Just need the time to do it.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

OMG, I wouldn't be able to make the needles move at that hour of the morning. The shawl is beautiful and I know you're friend will love it.

Sorry I'm not up to speed to know what happened to your friend, but am glad to hear she's doing better and hope that continues. I'll keep her and her family in my thoughts.

I've seen those crank knitting machines, you can make socks? Oh dear...now I fear the next time I'm debating about getting one, I will indeed buy it, and I'm gonna tell my hubby it's all your fault. lol

Sandy

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Me...popping in again for updates. Looking forward to your visiting.

Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home