Saturday, June 13, 2009

Unexpected bloom

A few weeks ago while caring for my many plants I reached down to get a small pot from under the potting bench when I noticed that the Amaryllis plant I'd set there with intentions of throwing it away because it refused to bloom for me after the first year I got it about three years ago. It had a bud stem about 5 inches high. I gave it a drink of water and left it where it was. A few days later I discovered the stem had grown so tall the bud was hiding under the top of the potting bench. I brought it out and a few days later it rewarded me with this gorgeous bloom. It had two buds, but one was knocked off by either the wind or the cat.

Today I had to destroy one of my favorite plants which had become virused. It was a very large plant, and had recently bloomed with four beautiful large blooms. Unfortunately the virus can spread to other plants, and rather than chance losing all of my collection I chose to get rid of it.

Today was World Wide Knit In Public day, but I didn't find time to participate, though I do knit in public on a regular basis. There are several items on my knitting needles, a cocoon for our new granddaughter who is due to be born in September, a couple of scarves, and a pair of socks. I've been trying to give each of these items a little attention, but the socks have received the least attention. Perhaps I'll go grab them and do a few rows.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Henya said...

What a nice surprise. That bloom is exquisite.
I am very sorry about your other plant. It must have been very hard.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous AlisonH said...

Look at that! A Red Lion in June!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home