Saturday, August 01, 2009

Knitting away

There has been lots of knitting going on as I taught two of my daughters (by love) how to knit in the past few weeks. It's always fun to pass on the love of fiber and needles. Both of the girls took to knitting quickly, of course they are adults, but not every adult takes to knitting easily. As for my own projects, I've finished the shawl for my friend Bernice. It still needs to be blocked.

Bernice is fighting valiantly, but has had several set backs recently. Her liver is not filtering her blood well causing an elevated amonia level. This means putting her on a medication that causes diarrhea. She has also had a very slow heartbeat which led to requiring the assistance of a pacemaker. Additionally, one of her two skin grafts is not taking and requires clean dressings three times a day. As though she hasn't been through enough they have also found a bed sore on her head so they had to shave the area so they can keep it clean and treated. Please, if you are a praying person, keep her and her daughters and their families in your prayers. They have been through so much lately, they really need your prayers at this difficult time.
This week I've been moving between knitting a simple diagonal scarf in Vivace 100% bamboo yarn which has been my take along knitting, even though I haven't gone anywhere. Also, the cuffs of a pair of socks in a faux cable pattern, the Thistle and Clover baby sweater in Canadiana, and a lace scarf in Rowan Kidsilk Haze. There is also another scarf in progress in the Robin yarn the girls brought from England.

Speaking of which, here is a picture the yarn they brought me! The Robin is a dk weight acrylic that reminds me of an English Garden. The Spirit is 100% wool, that hasn't told me what it wants to be and the ZigZag is sock yarn! They also brought me post cards, a post card size book of sheep that are raised in the area, and a hand made note card with a sheep on it whose coat is real wool roving and above the sheep there is a pair of miniature knitting needles with a swatch of knitted fabric. It's very cool! They even brought me candy called Sheep Droppings which are a lot like Milk Duds.
I've started the Curve of Pursuit blanket for one of the granddaughters but am struggling to pick up stitches on the sides of a square knit on the diagonal because I'm a tight knitter, so I've decided I will reknit it on needles two sizes larger and try slipping the first stitch of each row. That should help considerably. I had no problem picking up stitches for the sleeves of the Thistle and Clover baby sweater.

My lower back has been giving me what for, and I can't quite figure out what I did to cause it, but I'm more than ready to have it go away! It has kept me out of the kitchen, which is a treat, but I'd gladly rather cook than put up with the pain and stiffness.

Momma Mia is coming on, catch you later!!

3 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

The shawl really turned out well, not that I'm the lest bit surprised. All your work is beautiful. How neat you were able to teach your daughters. It's great fun to pass along our love of craft to others.

The yarn looks yummy. Know you'll have fun whipping up something.

Sandy

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous AlisonH said...

Poor Berniece! Thank you so much for knitting that for her!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Henya said...

The shawl looks beautiful. I hope your friend is able to take a lot of pleasure from it.
Is it not fun to infect your nearest and dearest with a "knitting virus"? I love doing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home