Thursday, December 28, 2006

What a day! From smiles to near tears in hours!

There was a good reason why my body didn't want to wake up this morning! It must have known what my day was going to be like. It started out wonderfully if you don't count the fact that I didn't get to sleep in as late as I prefer. That's not generally enough to put me in a bad mood. Today started with a wonderful gift arriving from my KnitTalk swap partner even before I was out of be.

Gail B., you are far too generous! But thank you so very much for everything! This bag is beautiful. And that's just the beginning of all that she sent. Check out all this stuff! There are lots of patterns, 4 pair of Essentials wood circular needles, 2 sets of double point needles (for socks) and enough sock yarn for 3 pair in purple, hot pink and white, a binder page that will work great for needle storage, a pocket calendar and a Banana Bread scented candle! I can't wait to go put my feet up and browse through the pattern booklets.

After the requisite shower, shampoo and teeth brushing hubby and I headed off to Jo-Anne's to use the gift card I received from my friend Bernice P. for Christmas. The store was busy and short of checkers, but no sweat I still had plenty of time before my 1:45pm doctor appointment. I didn't expect that to take long because all I needed was a prescription renewed. My doctor is almost always on time, and today was no exception. She and I had a conversation about my blood glucose levels and agreed that if they aren't under control in 60 days I should try a shot of insulin at night. Still no sweat, I can deal with that. So, you ask, what's the big deal.

The trip to the pharmacy was the spoiler! Fortunately the pharmacies are in the same building, because I had ordered two prescriptions via the internet that still had refills available that would have to be picked up at pharmacy 1, and the new prescription would be at pharmacy 2. After a 20+ minutes of waiting in pharmacy 2 I heard my name called and went to the counter. The pharmacy tech asked about my medications, then proceeded to tell me that two of the meds I've been taking for over a year shouldn't be taken together! Whoa! My mind started reeling! Are these people using me as a guinea pig allowing me to take meds that shouldn't be prescribed together - and why hadn't anyone ever noticed it before - especially seeing I'm taking the maximum levels of each of them? Breath in, breath out! Then she tells me "don't worry about it, I've got a call in to your doctor and we'll find out what's going on". After another half hour of waiting I go to the counter and ask them to just go ahead and fill the new prescription that I'll stop taking the other medication. To which she replies "the doctor just now called and says it's ok to take them together (hmmmm, think I'm about to do some internet research), but we're out of the one you ordered via the internet. When I go to pay for the one they do have the cashier says that will be $31.37. Imagine my surprise when my co-pay for this med is usually $5.00. I think my normally low blood pressure went to the boiling point about then. I questioned it and was told that they were giving me a 200 day supply instead of the normal 100 day supply. When I questioned the fact that my highest co-pay was supposed to be $15.00, I didn't understand how it could be so high even for a 200 day supply. I asked for my membership and credit card back and left because I was so frustrated I was afraid I was going to say something I'd regret. I then headed for member services, again thankful that it's in the same building. At member services I was told that they aren't even authorized to give me more than a 100 day supply but if I had requested a 200 day supply (which I could do if I were going to be outside their service area for an extended period) they can charge more - by why so much more I never did quite figure out. Meanwhile the member services rep was even confused when she talked to the pharmacy manager. We finally ended up having them dispense a 100 day supply for which I paid the proper co-pay of $5.00 for the one prescription they had, and they are to call me when the other prescription is available. I was so angry by time I left there all I wanted to do was come home where I knew there was calm!

But that wasn't going to get the grocery shopping done. I have to admit that walking around Costco and the grocery store did a lot to ease the anger and frustration I was feeling, so that was a good thing. Plus we stopped and had dinner between Costco and the grocery which probably helped too! I don't cope well when I'm hungry.

I'm off to check some internet info on those two meds, then I'm going to put my feet up and browse all the patterns Gail sent me! I need my knitting to soothe the savage beast in me!

1 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Shelly! I am so sorry about your frustration with the pharmacy. I understand 100% how something like that can really spoil what has started out as a great day. Hope you get the situation with the meds worked out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home