Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My table runneth over . . . with scarves

There are no words to describe the reception I received when I had the pleasure of delivering 50 more hand crocheted and knitted scarves to the Sister Mary Pia Cancer Center on Monday.

It rather caught me by surprise because the first donation was received with polite thank you's, but little fanfare, or real interest. This time it was totally different. I only wish each and every one of you who have knit or crocheted for this project could have been there. I was invited into a small library where one of the ladies in the office tried to explain to me how thrilled and thankful each and every recipient has been. She said she wished she could video tape each patient as they choose their scarf, because their expressions of delight in being thought of were priceless and that I have no idea, without seeing their faces, what a wonderful thing we all are doing. I confess tears were about to flow. Never in my imagination could I have realized how one small nudge from God could become something so very poignant and touching. I have each and every one of you to thank, and when she asked for my name and address I truly wanted to add each of your names and addresses to that slip of paper too! The only credit I can take for the success of this project is the small credit for making that initial phone call and making the deliveries, which is an absolute pleasure. Sure, I knit a few of the scarves, but I haven't been the person who knit the most scarves in either batch.

Also, a big thank you goes out to Nellie, the manager at Office Depot on Trinity Drive, here in Stockton, CA for a recent donation of the small merchandise tags used to label each scarf. She donated a box of 500 tags which will be used exclusively for the scarf project. On this tag I write the first name, and the first initial of the last name of the person who made the scarf. I also list the fiber content of the yarn if I know it, and laundry instructions. Any notes or cards sent with the scarves are also attached to the scarf.

By the first of the year I expect to start a blog just for the scarf project. And you'll all be notified when it happens. I've had a few ideas for a better name for the project, and a couple of suggestions but it seems that each one I research on the internet is being used by someone else, or one that is so close to the same that it might be confusing. So I'm thinking of starting a contest to come up with a name that we can use long term. This will probably happen right after Christmas . . .so stay tuned.

3 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

What a wonderful project you have begun..it was truly inspired and directed by the Lord. Keep it up.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Zaz said...

hello, there is a scarf and one hat in the same colors that i love, the scarf seems to go in a "wavy" manner and both are fushia a bright yellow. if you can tell me something about them?
the story of those people receiving the gifts did make me tear :x

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful, you did such amazing works of art-pat yourself on the back. Whoever is going to wear these will wear them with pride and feel the heart warmth that you put into them. Thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home