Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring - My favorite time of year!

Spring just seems to bring hope anew to me as I watch the trees turn from barren sticks to wondrous green shade trees, and flowers as they grow, bud and bloom. Last year I was blessed to have a nearly 13 inch bloom on my Epiphyllum Sonoma Sunshine (see my Thursday, May 21, 2009 post). This year that same plant has 13 buds on it already. I'm excited to see if it will have the same extra large blooms. One bud has just appeared this week, so it could conceivably have even more blooms. Epiphyllum Three Oranges had about seven blooms last year and has at least that many buds. While it's bloom is smaller than the Sonoma Sunshine, the color of the flower is much more interesting (Monday, April 27, 2009 post).

The Easter Cactus (Hatiora Gaertneri) are in bud also. Others have them in bloom, but our spring has been cooler than normal and they are in our north facing screened porch so they are taking their time blooming.

Knitting is still happening. I've been enamoured with the Hazy Paves Scarf of which I'm on my second. The first one about size six needles and this second on size nine. I prefer the larger needle version.

My plan over the next couple weeks is to list all my UFO knitting projects and to begin working them into the que so that I complete one UFO before I begin a new project in hopes of eventually either completing or frogging them. Spread sheets are a good way for me to keep up with such things so that is my plan . . . now to put it into action.

Good News . . . my tissue transglutaminase IGG/IGA test for Celiac Disease was negative. I haven't had time to do research to find out how accurate this test is, but it at least gives me hope.

The remainder of the Seehawer & Siebert Periwinkle Blue Wool - Silk blend yarn has arrived from Germany. Once I've knit a swatch with it I can start the search for a sweater pattern to make. It's so soft, I just can't wait to start working with it.

Five things I'm thankful for . . . lots of rain in the valley this year, my cousin Dolores, yarn, my hubby and good friends.

6 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Martha said...

Hi Shelly,
New to your site & blog. I am currently going through and organizing my stash and would LOVE to knit and donate some yarn if it is needed. I recently lost my mom to cancer complications (in Sept.), so this is IMPORTANT to me. I have the time and the willingness to contribute to your charity. I have actually already started a scarf for you! Please let me know if you need the yarn. Some of it does not have labels. If that is a problem, I will leave those out.
Thank You som much for taking the time to care - for those of us that cancer has "hit" in many ways, we really do appreciate it.

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous sandy said...

Happy Spring to you too. Love the scarf, read through the directions and was thinking this is good until I got to the unravel down 2 rows, then decided it was toooooooooooo complicated for me.

Post a picture when you're finished.

Sandy

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Hi Martha, I'm very sorry for your loss, I know how difficult a time it is for you as I lost my daughter recently also.

If you'll email me at scarvesfromtheheart@comcast.net we'll decide the best use for your yarn that you want to donate.

Shelly

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Hi Sandy, Nice to see you here. I'll have pictures of blooms to share soon!

As for the Hazy Paves pattern, use a yarn that has some wool in it so that it has a bit of grab and you'll find it's really quite easy to drop that stitch down four rows. Personally I would not try this pattern with a yarn that was very slippery or splitty.

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous sandy said...

Making my rounds again through Sandy's Space Blog Log, been awhile since I've heard from ya, hope all is well.

Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home