Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's just NOT the same

No amount of crochet makes up for not knitting. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to belittle crochet, it's a wonderful art and was my primary art for most of my life. I can't explain it, but when I learned to knit it was like I'd truly found MY art. With crochet I never excelled, and never really tried. I couldn't make a round item lay flat if my life depended on it and I exercised absolutely no imagination. I picked up a pattern and made it, sometimes with really good results, but more often with less than the results I expected or hoped for. When I learned to knit, from early on I seldom made a pattern exactly as it was written. My imagination seemed to go into overdrive when paired with needles and yarn.

This conversation, one sided though it may be, comes up because the doctor did not release me to knit. Not only that, but she basically said to not use my left arm more than necessary. Suddenly it seems like without a left arm the simplest things become so much more difficult. Fortunately, she didn't say to immobilize the arm. Yeah! No sling! This is a really good thing. But to tell the story from the beginning, I had a follow up appt. with my primary physician on Friday the 13th (no, I'm not superstitious) because the pain in my left shoulder has not decreased in spite of decreased use. In fact it has escalated considerably, and even the simple act like reaching for a pencil causes major discomfort. After a thorough exam of poking, prodding, having me push, pull and reach she said it may be a rotator cuff injury. X-rays were ordered and she is referring me to an orthopedist. Unfortunately the orthopedic department is backed up and I have to wait for a call from them to set an appointment. The x-rays are done and available for the orthopedist. I was pleasantly surprised by the gentleness of the young technician. I've had similar x-rays done in the past with much more discomfort.

Now, back to the subject of crochet. I thought I could crochet because I would use my left arm less than when I knit, which was true, but it still causes pain I don't feel is worth the discomfort. I did complete a scarf from a new pattern I learned about through the Yahoo group linkslinkslinks. The designer has graciously allowed me to place links to her scarf patterns on the SFTH website here . This scarf is made from the "Bumpy" pattern. Be sure to check out Marie Anne's blog and her other patterns also. In addition to the Bumpy pattern, links to two more are on the SFTH website. In this scarf I used Paton's Canadiana in a deep chocolate brown, an off white and a raspberry red. The yarn is old, and the color numbers have long since been discontinued. I like the way the scarf is reversible with the off white being prominent on one side and the brown and red prominent on the other side. Using an "I" hook, casting on 232 stitches and completing 9 rows I ended up with a 4" wide scarf which is 80" long. It will be donated to SFTH with the next donation.

Next up; boredom, I guess. I've finished two books, The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney and Married in Seattle by Debbie Macomber. I guess I'll have to visit the local library for more reading material. What have you read lately that you'd recommend? Note, I'm not into heavy reading material. I like fiction, Debbie Macomber being my favorite, with Maggie Sefton and Maeve Binchy coming in tied for second.


4 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Laura Essendine said...

If you like Maeve Binchy (and who wouldn't) may i recommend some more Brits who write equally good books.

Judith Lennox, recent nominee for the Romantic novelists award (although her books are about far more than romance).

Rosamunde Pilcher for books set in Cornwall. Coming Home and the Shell Seekers are both beautiful

Penny Vincenzi whose novels are mainly set amongst the upper classes and are just wonderful. Windfall is a good place to start.

Kate Saunders writes a range of women's fiction but I recommend Night Shall Overtake Us (First WW) and Lily Josephine (2nd WW). She'd also done a couple of contemporary novels which are a bit more fun but still as enjoyable.

Happy reading

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Accidental Guru Blog
The Books Limited Blog

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger AmyS said...

Shelly, I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Avi, too, is suffering from pain but in his right shoulder. He is scheduled for an ultrasound in another two weeks. Yep, long waits with socialized medicine.

I hope you find some fun books to read. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, not being able to knit. Maybe you could take some knitting related books out of the library to take the edge off, or would that just make you more frustrated?

Take care!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm holding out hope for you to get better sooner rather than later.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I feel for ya. When my arthritis, or carpal tunnel and or ulnar nerve flair I find it hard to stitch. But, for me...knitting seems to use less energy and strength, so when I hurt...I put down my hook and pick up the knitting needles. I'm more creative with crocheting then knitting and have made far more items with it; but it requires more tension with both hands and so...I can't do it as long as I can knit. A little of this, and alittle of that is how I get by.

I also think speed has a lot to do with the tension in the hands, writs, arms and shoulders. I try to crochet slower as that helps, but...

Hope you feel better soon. Does typing bother you also?

I've recently re-adjusted my chair and that helps the arms, though clicking alot with the mouse really bothers my neck and should. We need new bodies

Hugs and take care
Sandy
Membership and registration not required, but would love you to visit, read a few posts and make some comments. I'm trying something new. Thanks.
http://stitchinglifetogether.today.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home