Monday, August 22, 2005

The Knit Exchange Bag

The "bag" has been received by my knit exchange partner so now I can share it with all of you. This was my first attempt at intarsia and I am pleased with the result. I started with a pattern for inspiration, but quickly abandoned it for a creation all my own.

The yarn is Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride Bulky in Kiwi, Limeade, Lemondrop and RPM Pink. It felted up nicely, and just the rate I wanted as I wanted the bag to be large. The final size is 16" x 10" x 5". Big enough to hold a good size knitting project, with a pocket on one end for needles, and two smaller ones on the front for odds 'n ends.

I'm writing up the pattern, but haven't decided if I'll try to copyright it or just share it. My inclination is to make it available on "Bag-a-Holic" one of the Yahoo groups I'm on.

Here is a picture pre felting.














And here is the finished product. In one of the pictures you'll see that one end has lacing. That is ornamental, I used two strands of yarn for the laced part then added a third strand at the top so the tails could be braided.

For blocking purposes I had a box inside a plastic kitchen garbage bag to keep the shape of the bag. I also trimmed the ends of the braids after the photos were taken.

If you're wondering about the loose yarn on the handles, that was deliberate. I was going for a tweed look, which didn't happen. I kind of like the look that resulted. To get the tweed I was looking for perhaps mixing the yarns would have been more successful. It's unique!

Currently on the needles are a swatch of acrylic red heart in preparation for slippers that only a gauge is given for, not needle size. Also a gorgeous blue scarf made with three yarns held together. More about this later. And pictures, I promise!

6 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Mz Mar said...

Your bag turned out wonderful!! I'm sure your swap partner will really enjoy using it!! If you decide to "share" the pattern I would like to give it a try!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Great bag!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Ina said...

Glad you joined the Scarf Style KAL! Your bag is so interesting, I can't wait to see what you do with your scarves. Happy knitting! :)X

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Knitsworthy said...

I love your bag! What did you do to get the corners to stand out? I love it! It looks like it might be i-cord, but I can't tell for sure.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

What a great bag, Shelly! You did a fabulous job. You're so creative. ;-) I love it!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Can I be your swap partner??? Beautiful job, Shelly! deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home