Saturday, August 05, 2006

Pink Scarves for Breast Cancer Challenge


Today I surprised everyone at our local knitting/crochet group meeting by introducing a Pink Scarf for Breast Cancer Challenge. Most everyone knows someone who has, or has had breast cancer. If not, you probably know someone who knows someone! Our challenge is to make a minimum of 25 pink scarves (and a few in manly colors because men can also get breast cancer) by September 23rd. We will be donating these to the local St. Joseph's Hospital Cancer Center. I had a few "hot pink" tote bags to give out (I wish I had enough to give one to everyone who helps) and I pulled all of the pink yarn from my stash which I shared with the gals who were at today's meeting. I've challenged our group (everyone, not just the gals who were present at the meeting) to make these scarves between now and September 23rd so they can be given out at a retreat the first weekend of October.

Jim Linderman of St. Joseph's Cancer Center was kind enough to take time out of his day to stop by and introduce himself and share with us some other ongoing projects they have which we could also participate in. One is a "lapghan" program which he will get us more information on, and the other is a "chemo caps" program.

Now, I'm inviting you, my internet friends, to join us in making these scarves. I'm also encouraging you to enlist the help of friends, relatives and neighbors who knit or crochet, or even weave. If we get more than the 25 scarves I set as a goal for our small group, that would be wonderful - they will find a use for them.

It's as simple as these three steps:
1. Email me to sign up (tink1944@yahoo.com)
2. Start making scarves (make one or as many as you want)
3. Get the scarves to me by the deadline (I'll provide a mailing address upon request.)

Guidelines - Any color of Pink (unless you're doing a manly one), size should be 4 to 8 inches in width, and 56 to 80 inches long. They can be crocheted, knit or woven. Any pattern you wish to use, but because they're being given out the first weekend in October think warm!

Deadline: They need to be in my hands no later than September 23rd. Please include with each scarf;
(1)Laundering instructions
(2)fabric content (it would be nice if this was done on a nice note card)
(3) if you choose, send a personal note with your name and a bit about yourself and whatever well wishes you'd like to send the recipient.

It's important that you email me (tink1944@yahoo.com) with your name and a way to contact you to sign up so I know how many people I can count on. If you enlist others to help, please provide me with their names and contact info also. (this information will not be given to anyone else!).

Strangely this whole project started because I found those totes on sale for just $2.00 at Barnes & Noble bookstore on Thursday. At first I only picked one up for myself thinking it would make a great knitting tote. But before I left the store I decided at that price I'd buy the 5 they had available and share them with the knitting group. I wasn't prepared at all for what God had planned for me to do with them. But He gave me the idea to share the bags and the pink yarn and to call the St. Joseph's Cancer Center to see how the scarves could be used. You see, Jim Linderman wasn't in when I called on Friday, and what were the chances that he'd return my call on a Saturday? Then for Jim to be able to make time to come to our meeting on his day off (?). . . That my friends is God's work, not mine!

5 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

Wonderful idea. I think you will get far more than the 25 goal you set for this project.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, I wish I could knit - I've got two left hands when it comes to such projects!

At this time, I'm engaged in a project, too, which happens to be pink - it's a pink child's sleigh rocker which I've hand crafted and I'm raffling it off to benefit a jr. high school band (for teens who don't have instruments). We want to make sure they stay in busy, stay busy and keep music alive!!!

You can see the photos at our uh...PINK site!

TC

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Nora said...

Hi Shelly. I'd love to knit a pink scarf for breast cancer. I've actually knit half a scarf already (for a gift) but I'd much rather give it to you. I'm in Sydney, Australia... so if you think I can make the deadline stop by my blog and leave a comment. x

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to have found your challenge. I just found out that my best (35 years) friend's mother died last Saturday after a long battle with breast cancer. I am going to send you a scarf in memory of Mary Lou Simmons. Thank you. Beth A - Bpt, CT

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Thanks, Beth A., I'd love to have you join the challenge. I hope you'll send along a note about honoring your friend's mom. I'm so sorry for her loss.

Contact me at the email address in the post to make arrangements to mail them to me.

Thanks so much for sharing your knitting time with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home