Friday, August 04, 2006

Berry Basket Dishcloth Pattern - Free

This pattern came about because the stitch pattern reminded me of the wood berry baskets we used when I was a kid. But the stitch pattern was part of a child's sweater which I had no interest in making so this is the resulting dishcloth and I'd like to share the pattern with all my cyber friends. I used Lily's Sugar Baby cotton and size 7 needles.

Please send me pictures of your dishcloths.

Berry Basket Dish Cloth

Using your favorite cotton yarn and appropriate size needles cast on 49 sts

Border Pattern:
Row 1 K1, P1 across
Row 2 K1, P1 across

Body Pattern: (consists of 20 rows) Odd number rows are Right Side rows

Row 1: K1, P1 ♦ K5, (P1, K1) twice, P1, repeat from ♦ to last 7 sts, K5, P1, K1
Row 2: K1, P1 ♦ P6, (K1, P1) twice, repeat from ♦ to last 7 sts, P6, K1
Row 3: Repeat row 1
Row 4: Repeat row 2
Row 5: Repeat row 1

Row 6: K1, P1, K10, P5, K15, P5, K10, P1, K1
Row 7: K1, P1, P10, K5, P15, K5, P10, P1, K1
Row 8: Repeat row 6
Row 9: Repeat row 7
Row 10: Repeat row 6

Row 11: K1, P1 ♦ K5, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, repeat from ♦ to last 7 sts, K5, P1, K1
Row 12: K1, P1 ♦ P6, (K1 P1) twice, repeat from ♦ to last 7 sts, P6, K1
Row 13: Repeat row 11
Row 14: Repeat row 12
Row 15: Repeat row 11

Row 16: K1, P1, (P5, K15) repeat once, P6, K1
Row 17: K1, P1, (K5, P15) repeat once, K5, P1, K1
Row 18: Repeat row 16
Row 19: Repeat row 17
Row 20: Repeat row 16

Rows 21 – 25: Repeat rows 1 – 5

Rows 26 – 30: Repeat rows 6 – 10

Rows 31 – 35: Repeat rows 11 – 15

Rows 36 – 40: Repeat rows 16 – 20

Continue in pattern until it reaches the size you want, end with two border rows.

Finishing: bind off and weave in ends.

Enjoy!

To make this pattern into a towel or larger item increase in increments of 5 stitches and/or 5 rows.

Copyright Shirley Heikkinen 2006
Please do not post this pattern to other web sites without express permission. Email me at Tink1944@yahoo.com You are welcome to share it with others by sharing the link to my blog.

19 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

I love this one. I will copy your pattern and make some in the future. Thanks for being so generous with you creative work.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Jodie a.k.a. BinkyKat said...

Love your pattern! I can already envision matching towels! Thank you for sharing this!!!

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I've always used the basket weave pattern but this is much better!

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Thanks all, I'm happy to share it with you, and I hope you'll send me pics of the ones you make! I'd love to feature some on my blog.

Shelly

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Norma said...

What a great looking dishcloth! I have copied it and have added it to my list of dishcloths to make in the next few weeks.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there..i am a new knitter and have been working on dish cloths..i am going to try your pattern..it looks very nice..thank you so much for sharing..

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Barbara, I tried to go to your blog to leave you an answer (without success) so I hope you visit again to read this.

The Queen likes filtered light, no direct sun, and I water it thoroughly then let it dry out before watering it again. It is in our screened porch on the north side of our house. The west side of the porch is shaded by a large tree. It's gets a good amount of humidity because of the other plants surrounding it. It bloomed the second year after I got a cutting from a friend. I don't even bring it in during winter but it is against the wall of the house which is cinder block and holds heat well. If we were expecting a very heavy freeze I would bring it in because the parent plant was lost to frost.

I hope this helps. If not, email me at tink1944@yahoo.com for more info.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Salihan said...

I've made your dishcloth out of cotton twine and my hubby, the dishwasher, has given it 2 thumbs up. No more sponges! I'm knitting all our dishcloths from now on!

I've blogged about your dishcloth here: http://missysalihan.blogspot.com/2007/12/berry-clean.html

Thanks for the free pattern!

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful pattern! I think I'll give it with a bar of handmade soap as a gift. Thanks for sharing this.

Debboe

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your pattern.
Basketweave is also one of my favorites. I'll start on this right away.
Greetings from southern California!

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Barbara Bradford said...

Thank you for sharing the lovely pattern.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Heather_dw said...

what about making smaller cloths? I tried making in multples of 5. I tried doing 35 but it came out wrong at the end of the last repeat. I didn't have enough sts.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Margo said...

This pattern is beautiful.. Thanks for sharing. can you please tel me where the original sweater pattern can be found? I have a new niece or nephew coming and I would LOVE to make a sweater with this pattern..

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Margo, I'll get back to you with the name of the book that childs sweater was in. It was one my friend had, and I've emailed her to ask the title.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I'm using this pattern for a baby blanket. Can't wait to start it tonight.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Maggie, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I would like to do this pattern but am a fairly new knitter and would like to reduce the size to around 38 stitches. Can you help me with the adjustment?

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Shelly said...

I've tried to figure it out and feel like I'm pounding my head on a brick wall. I'm not able to knit due to hand problems, so I'm not able to actually do it and that has been my method of figuring things out. I'm thinking you could reduce the solid stripes to 4 knit sts wide and the weave section to three sts, p1,k1, p1 - this would make it 36 sts wide, if you need it to be 38 start each right side row with p1, k1, p1.

Don't be afraid to experiment - the joy of knitting is that you can re-use the yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home