Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's almost a scarf

It has been so much fun knitting with the Mini Mochi yarn I received from Crystal Palace Yarns. Using a two row by two row method, pulling from the inside of one ball for two rows, then using the second ball and pulling from the outside has made it like a new project each time I pick it up. Plus the feel of this yarn isn't your typical sock yarn even though it's 80% merino and 20% nylon. It's so much more yummy, and very soft. It's now available to purchase at Yarn Market and Jimmy Beans Wool It comes in 8 colors, this one (photo colors are not accurate) is color #103 Violets Rainbow. The scarf is done in 1 x 1 rib changing color every two rows. I couldn't get a good photo no matter how I tried. This earlier photo is closer than the one I took tonight but still doesn't really capture the colors well, they are quite vibrant without being too bright.

There are still several other scarves on my needles as well, but none have been getting their turn for my attention. Hope is still there for them, this scarf is nearly complete and I don't have more of this yarn . . . shucks!


Today's trip to the Friends of the Library store was fruitful. They had a lot of hard back, and the larger soft cover knitting books in. Oddly, most of them were filled with sweaters to knit. I picked up Knit it Your Way by Cynthia Yanok Wise, Modern Classics - Knit Over 20 Timeless Designs by Louisa Harding, and New Directions in Knitting from House of White Birches - all for less than $20.00.


Moving on to the local thrift stores provided good pickings too. At the first one, two bags of basic yarn snagged me 15 full or nearly full skeins of basic yarns (1 velour type, 2 boucle, 8 variegated acrylics, and the rest solids) plus two large balls of cotton yarn in yellow and chartreuse and a small ball of a really pretty blue that is kind of glitzy. The bonus of these bags of yarn were 4 pair of knitting needles (1 pr sz 15 Clover Takumi, 2 pair plastic size 8 and 1 pair of wood size 8), 5 crochet hooks (all different sizes), and a crochet hook bag by Klutz which had some stitch markers and really cute buttons in it. All this for about $5.50 after the senior discount.



Across the street at another thrift store I found a package of T-shirt transfer paper which I plan to use to make a Scarves From The Heart t-shirt or bag, two brand new stainless steel watering cans (for watering plants) and one of those huge bath sheet size towels that is just like new. I think I spent nearly $7 at this shop. Don't you just love bargains! Hubby says he gets out of the thrift stores a lot cheaper when I don't go with him, but that's ok, I'll buy my yarn at yarn stores and on line if he prefers .



After lunch at Sizzler, and the thrift store crawl, it was the not so favorite chore of grocery shopping before coming home to flop into the easy chair. It seems like no matter how much I plan to eat well these trips consist of junk food shopping! I think it's because we do our meat shopping at Costco once a month, and also buy our paper products there. Of course fresh fruits and vegetables are bought as needed, so this was a pop corn, bread, soft drinks, and yogurt trip.



If you belong to the KnitTalk group on Yahoo you've already heard that my friend Alison is not well. She has several medical issues, and right now her Crohn's is out of control. If you're a praying person, please say a prayer that God will allow the new medication to help her quickly, very quickly. The medication, and getting it is a whole other story in itself. I'm sure you've seen Humira advertised on TV. Bet you would never imagine how difficult it is to get an insurance company to pay for it, then how much rigamarole you would have to go through to get it, and have it administered. It seems that this medicine is highly regulated, but it is also pretty much Alison's last hope to survive this bout with Crohn's disease. In addition to the symptoms of the Crohn's she has been dealing with fever, nausea, vomiting, and it seems all the things that she can't afford to have if she's going to beat this.



Oh, I almost forgot. Scarves From The Heart has been asked to work with a local group called Kaleidoscope which provides bags of comfort items to cancer patients. I'm excited about it. I've been invited to speak to their group at an upcoming meeting. I think it's a good thing, though I'm not sure exactly how we'll work together. We'll see, God will lead me and let me know if this is the direction He wants us to go.


Now, I'd like to leave you with a smile on your face. This is what makes me smile each time I think of her. My granddaughter Brodie Skye, who turned 1 back in October.


5 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Laura said...

gorgeous scarf!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

She's adorable! The scarf does look yummy, though I would hate the changing colors every 2 rows.

Congrats on joining forces with the other group, I know good stuff will happen.

Keep us posted,
Sandy

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger AmyS said...

The scarf turned out beautiful! Glad you found goodies on your shopping expedition. :-)

I check in on Alison every day; I think her most recent post shows a touch of her usual humor, which I am taking as a good sign. She has a ways to go yet, though.

Thanks for including the photo of your granddaughter. She sure is adorable!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Time to post again...lol
Hope all is well.
Sandy

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Me waving again
Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home