Thursday, July 24, 2008

My newest passion

Isn't it beautiful - it's an Epiphyllum for those who haven't seen them before. The grower and photographer is Janet Lai, who I bought my start from. Mine won't bloom for a while so I got permission from her to use her photos. I actually bought 4 varieties from her and she gifted me this one! You can see the rest of her pictures at my photobucket album here. In addition to the five varieties from Janet I've purchased a variety called Masada from another seller. You can see a picture of it here. All of my starts except one, Prairie Rose, have new healthy growth on them, and even that one appears to be very healthy, just a bit slower growing. I can't wait for these to bloom, though they say for the healthiest plants if they bud the first year you should nip off the bud so that they concentrate on root growth. So I guess I've got at least a two year wait. It looks like the wait will be worth it to me!

These plants can get amazing sized blooms on them. Eight to ten inch is not unusual, though many varieties get much smaller blooms on them. They can also get a huge number of blooms at one time. There are lots of varieties I'd love to have, but they do take some space so I need to be careful not to crowd them.

Lest you think I've given up knitting, much to the contrary, I'm currently working on a scarf in a pattern of my own design. I still have lots of other ufo's, but in addition to the interest in epies, we've recently spent a few days in Southern California, and we're planning a family reunion which is coming up the second weekend of August in San Diego. There will be lots of wonderful news after that as it will be the first time ever for all five of my children to be together. As a bonus my hubby's two girls will also be present, as will at least 4 of our 8 grandchildren.

The laundry is calling . . . check back later!












6 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Jami said...

Hey, the "bigger picture" thing worked! And the bloom is beautiful, of course.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

The flowers are beautiful. I've never heard of them. Are these indoor or outdoor flowers?

The family reunion sounds great, keep us posted. ARe you going to have troubles with the fires still there in Calf?

Laundry, errands, and mowing are calling out to me...so ttfn
Sandy

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Stopping back in to see what you're up to.

Notice your button for bag a holic, thought you might like to know, Jo Anne's selling a really nice size bat for $1.00...going green is catching on.

Sandy

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Since you have bottons on your blog, thought maybe you could tell me how to put them on mine?

Sent email, but thought I'd leave note here as well; as I'm not sure which you tend to see first or more often. I wondered about the scarfs for Scarfs from the Heart....are all the scarfs sent to your local hospital, or do you distribute around the country to other cancer Hospitals?

Thanks,
Sandy
(got 2 scarfs done, working on a 3rd...thought I might like to donate to your cause

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Checking in to see what you're working on, and how you're doing.

Raining here today, soooooooo nice we really need the rain.

Have a good day, keep an eye open. I did make it to the post office yesterday.

Sandy

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Checking back with you Shelly. Box of scarfs should have reached you a couple of days ago. Hadn't heard from you, so wanted to touch base.

Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home