Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year 2009!

Happy New Year to all our friends out in cyberland! May 2009 be a prosperous year and may you always have enough! Enough of everything that makes life comfortable and worthwhile! May those of us who are blessed to have enough food, and all the necessities in life all share with those who are in need.

New Years Eve for us was a quiet evening for us. We picked up pizza for hubby and Chinese food for me and spent the evening in front of the tv. It was a bit strange at midnight when all the fireworks went off, it was very foggy here and it really muffled the sound. The big fireworks sounded like they were in a barrel and the small ones in the neighborhood sounded like someone popping bubble wrap.

Today was more about getting laundry done than reflecting on what 2009 will bring. I've never been much for making resolutions but I am planning to make most of this year's knitting projects from stash. Hubby watched part of the Rose Bowl Parade while I slept late, then he watched the USC game, while I caught up on email and laundry.

Our Christmas trip to Disneyland and our stay at the Grand Californian Hotel were wonderful. The weather was less severe than predicted, the traffic going both ways was uneventful, and the hotel was awesome. If you'd like to see some pictures of the wonderful environment of this hotel check out the traveler photos on this site. There is a box on the right hand side of the page, just a little way down that says "traveler photos and videos". It's hard to do justice to the grand decor of this hotel, but if you love the arts and crafts movement in architecture you've got to experience this hotel at least once! I spent quite a bit of my time at the hotel, knitting and computing, and enjoying the third floor mezzanine which is furnished with overstuffed chairs, side tables and lamps with stained glass shades. I really like the oversized sit-in fireplace in the lobby, but the lighting isn't good enough for knitting there.

Santa brought me the external hard drive I wanted for my computer along with a few other things I'd asked for, including some of the Elizabeth Zimmerman knitting books. But he also brought a couple of unexpected gifts, including a digital picture frame which I love.

The black fingerless gloves for our grandson are done, the purple ones for my sister-in-law are about three-quarters done. I've already started the 1x1 ribbing at the knuckles. I'm not particularly happy with the fit of my own fingerless gloves, or the yarn they're made from, so next up will be some warmer ones from wool to replace the ones shown in my last post.

Today I cast on some inexpensive yellow boucle' yarn for a scarf, using straight needles which I seldom use. It's kind of odd because I seldom work with yellow, don't particularly enjoy working with boucle yarns - but there is something about this yarn that was calling to me. Maybe because my sister sent it to me, maybe because it's such a bright sunny color, but I'm loving the fabric that is developing. The needles are a material I'm unfamiliar with, they feel like plastic, but they have a different feel than any I've used before. They are by Boye, and they're bright yellow, 11" length, with metal ends and appear to be at least a few years old. I really like the shape of the tip, they are one of the few straight needles I've found that I like. Where I picked them up, I have no idea at all! I'm sure I found them when I was looking for antique needles, and I wonder if they could be made of cellulose.

Scarves from the heart is currently asking for basic machine washable and dryable scarves which will be donated to shelters. So if you're a beginner to knitting or crochet, this is the perfect project to donate to. Simple patterns are ideal, you can let the color be the statement!

Happy New Year all! Call a friend you haven't talked to lately!

3 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Becky G said...

Happy New Year to you!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

I know what you mean about the tip to knitting needles. I love my Denise set, but some of the larger needles have to much of a point. I tend to use my fingers and push off alot and finger tips get sore. I grabbed a straight pair of needles I hadn't used in ages the other day and was surprised about how much I liked them. I was doing double yarn, needles 19. These are super light weight, plastic Red Heart Needles, very smooth the yarn just really moves on them.

Glad to hear you're keeping busy.

Have a super wkend, and stop in for a visit...you've been away far too long.

Sandy

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Me, stopping back to see what you're up to. Time for a new post girl...lol

Have a great wkend.
Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home