Friday, July 28, 2006

Yarn or Yarn? Hmmmm . . .

For weeks I've been planning to go to the Lambtown USA festival in Dixon, CA this weekend . . . but our weather here has been hot, hot, hot. Knowing that hubby wouldn't be able to tolerate spending time at the festival in the heat, earlier this week while it was still miserably hot he offered me a trip to the yarn store in exchange for letting him out of going to the festival . . . I caved. I just couldn't help it, my love of instant gratification just can't be controlled. Now I could say I did it to support our LYS, yep that's it (want to buy a bridge?) but the truth is, I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the heat either. Turns out it's supposed to be in the high 80's tomorrow, but I don't regret my decision.

I've been wanting wool to make another purse for a pattern that's been floating around in my head since I made the short rows purse. I chose Noro Kureyon in colorway #156. They were one skein short of what I expected to use so I picked up a skein of Berroco's Ultra Alpaca in a brown (#6205) that I can use as trim if necessary. I haven't started it yet because I have a lot of things OTN right now. Among them, a bowl which I also purchased the yarn to finish. I used the yarn I got in June from my One Skein Secret Pal for the main part, (still in progress in this photo) and I found a lovely green to do the edging and base which really picks up the green in the variegated yarn. It's Iceland by Crystal Palace Yarns. I really like their yarns.

From the half off selection I found Laines Du Nord Ombre #53 which I just couldn't resist. I'm thinking it wants to be a shawl, but it may tell me different before I get around to working with it. It's just such beautiful colors, though I had a hard time choosing a color as I liked most of their color ranges.

I also picked up the "Knitters', Crocheters', Weavers' & Spinners' Travel Guide 2006", some needles with the bent tip, and point protectors (my favorite kind). In this picture it's the ones that aren't cone shaped. They're like a tube with two holes side by side (it really shows up on the pink one between the two green cone ones on the left of the picture. Each color is a different size. I've lost a few, shared a few, and they seem to just disappear so I bought 2 or 3 of each size.

Other UFO's are a baby hat for Save the Children (2 done), a dish cloth in an open basket weave pattern, a baby blanket which I've just cast on, a potato chip scarf which I've become bored with and the Bella Cardigan sleeves. On Tuesday mornings I'll be working with the Women's Auxiliary of one of our local hospitals knitting and doing other crafts for them to sell at their bazaars to raise money for the hospital (which is a non-profit). I'm looking forward to it.

Today I finally got something from the doctor to help with my insomnia and I think it's about time I took it and went to bed . . . 'til next time . . . may all your yarns be luxurious, and all your frogging be done in creeks.

3 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger Joan said...

I like the Jelly Belly point protectors best. I use an Exacto knife and cut them in half. Those really stay on. Hope you slept well.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, Hi the "fish scaled" sock is Pomotomous from Knitty, look in the archives. It' looks intimidating, but it really isn't, you're just following instructions!
Cheers,Jenny

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

What are needles with bent tips? Never heard of them.
I finally bought some point protectors and even two counters...I never used them before. Ah, sorry you missed your festival, but hey, I think you did just fine at the yarn store and poor husband is not frazzled by the heat. Good going.

I love what you are doing with that yarn for the bowl. WOW, it should be nice. You gotta show us pictures when finished.

back to work, for me, now. Lynda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home