Saturday, May 27, 2006

Yarn Garage Sale! Whoo hoo!

Family members can attest to the fact that only a yarn garage sale or vacation could get me out of bed before 6:00am. But this was a garage sale not to be missed. It put a pretty deep hole in the budget, but a yarn store would have been at least another 33% over what I spent. Here's what I got;
Ice - Turkish made novelty yarn in pink and black for scarves. 6 skeins of the pink and 3 of the black. The first will be for one of the neices I think. There is no yardage or fabric content listed but it's kind of scratchy so it will need to be carried with something else. Hopefully washing will soften it.


Noro Airisu - 54% Rayon, 38% Silk, 6 % Cotton and 2% Nylon - 19 skeins of 50 meters each (I think it wants to be a short sleeved top). It's a multi stranded yarn with lots of color. This is a Noro yarn I've never seen before, but I love it.

Noro Silk Garden - 13 skeins of color #105 which wants to first be an entrelac purse and maybe some scarves or, or, or . . . maybe more purses.

These skeins show all the beautiful colors in this yarn.

And last but not least some gorgeous Turkish lace weight mohair in blues and purples. Not brands I have ever seen, but for the price I just couldn't resist.
Already I can feel the "startitis" in my hands quickly traveling up to my brain! Now if only I had another pair or two of hands to knit with! It will be fun (um, maybe not) trying to find room for it all on my shelves.

The ad for this garage sale said over 2000 skeins/balls of yarn but when we walked up there really wasn't much out. Then the homeowner returned from the store and I asked if she had any Noro, mohair or silk yarns and she said yes, she hadn't gotten them out because she didn't want people to try to talk her down to nothing on the prices. I put back almost everything I had in my bag and went for the good stuff. I could have spent a lot more if I'd had it. She said she will be doing this again . . . I hope I have $$ when she does.

OTN: The I-Cord scarf is still in progress, along with the Bella cardigan which I haven't touched in a week.

7 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Ann said...

So, how much did you drop?

I'm planning a sale next weekend (no yarn for sale). Proceeds will replace our pull down attic stairway and a ceiling fan. Anything leftover will be spent at Elann.com!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Shelly said...

Almost $200 - not bad considering what I got! If I'd had more I'm sure I'd have spent it! LOL!

I don't order much on line unless I've seen it first. I like the visual and tactile experience of the yarn stores.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

OMG, I love what you got. You got a great deal - lucky you. I have never seen yarn for sale at a yard sale. I just love the NORO yarns, they are my current favorites. Beautiful yarns - can't wait to see what you do with them all.

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly,
Congratulations on all that yummy new yarn! Enjoy. :)

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Oh I am so jealous of that Noro. I want to make a sweater, but not one that costs over $125. You were one lucky girl! I wish they had garage sales like that by me.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Rena said...

Looks like you got some great, yummy yarn. Enough for 3 beautiful things, plus the scarves or whatever the first decides to be. You were one lucky knitter!! And good you asked about the Noro!

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You found a great stash - all yelling for attention! Great yard sale for a knitter! People have written so much about the Noro yarns - never have seen any - LYS doesn't carry it. Enjoy knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home