Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Cinderalla Scarf

Just two days ago this scarf was referred to in less than complimentary terms. This is Plymouth Jungle ribbon yarn http://tinyurl.com/hg2qp and it's a chore to work with, but absolutely beautiful when completed.

Not quite finished but getting longer is the I-Cord Snake Scarf from Jane Davis' book "Knit Ponchos Wraps & Scarves". I gave the wrong title to this book earlier, but will correct it in the old post. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

This next picture shows the progress I'm making on the I-Cord scarf. I'm making a slight change in the pattern, because it is stockinette stitch it rolls (it's intended to do that), but I don't like that much bulk around my neck so I'm doing the neck portion of it in seed stitch. I didn't want the seed stitch to make a straight line across so I started in the center with one stitch, then the next row I made a purl on either side of the original purl and half way between those two and each edge I did one more purl (it was much easier to do than to describe). Ultimately the design was to end up with three points of seed stitch coming down, with the center one one row longer than the ones on each side. Once those three triangles of seed stitch met then it continues in seed stitch for about 12 inches (I'm still working on this portion).

S 'n B meeting tonight for me was an escape. We met at Jo-Ann's and of course that meant I had to (I really, really had to) buy a new book. I had a 40% off coupon so I picked up AlterKnits by Leigh Radford for only $15.00. It wasn't so much that I needed this book, or even that I needed another book, but I was gifted some $$ by my dear father-in-law and I wanted to get something that I would keep, not just more groceries, or something that would be gone in a short time. There is an awesome scarf/shawl pattern in it that I would like to make for someone who specifically mentioned that she would like a warm shawl to wrap around her when it's cold.

Speaking of Jo-Ann's - they have a good yarn sale coming up this weekend - Friday through Sunday I believe. Note however, they only accept one coupon per customer now. When our superstore first opened they accepted three coupons on three items, a Jo-Anns, a Michael's and a Beverly's. So I guess from now on I'll take one item to the car and go back in to purchase the next one . . . as my grandfather used to say, "There is more than one way to skin a cat!". The last time I was at a Beverly's store they also accepted multiple coupons as long as they were from different sources. There they actually accepted on of their own "mailer" coupons and a "newspaper" coupon along with a Jo-Ann's and a Michael's - making 4 coupons on one sale (7 skeins of yarn). These stores need to figure out what they are going to do, because those of us who need to save money are going to take our business where we can save.

Enough of my sputtering, it's time to put my feet up and knit awhile.

May your disposition and your days all be sunny!


2 Comments:

At 3:25 AM, Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

This scarf looks beautiful!
A JoAnns employee at a store where I go said that the computer will catch people who are using coupons multiple times by taking the item to the car and coming back for the next one, etc. They are numbered and the computer scans in that number. I did this 7 times when I was buying yarn for my Moonlight Mohair kimono and my grand daughter also did it for me a number of times, as I needed 22 skeins for the kimono. I can see it now, arrested for coupon abuse at JoAnns, huh? lol

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would dare say bad comments about this scarf? How dare they!
I think it's beautiful, so there!

LOL

Love ya,
Darci

 

Post a Comment

<< Home